Monday, July 2, 2012

In Claremont, again.

I visited Some Crust in Claremont again. Their egg sliders sure are addicting plus the fact that my fridge is empty because I'm jetting off tomorrow for a month made it an even better excuse for me to visit.

Quick sketch of the day today. Ten minutes. Was about to sketch the same thing from the previous post, since I was devouring the egg sliders at the same counter, but my eyes wandered right and this building of California Bank (and trust?) building came into view. Wooden structure served as the main entrance and other wood structures surrounding this rectangular building. Intricate buildings that evoke thoughts about how crazy this architect or designer was (ie Disney Concert Hall by Frank Gehry) while holding ground of his view and beliefs are what we are attracted to because it's something different (and don't we all love something new and different.. ie technology these days) but sometimes it's a nice break to see some calm blocks of bricks or cement with proper landscape planted around it. Anyways I feel like my words aren't making sense now. 

The wooden structure as the main entrance (I think it's the main entrance) reminded me of the days that I spent hours on AutoCAD drawing wooden decks, trellises, and railings for my landscape architecture class. Now, drawing this in AutoCAD was easy but now sketching it was another story. The trellis in my mind and what I see somehow got mixed up in my brain as it transferred to my sketchbook. Ah the beauty  of sketching - this is my interpretation of what I see. Practice will get me closer the definition of 'my signature look' and I will get the hang of it. 

I also took some notes about Some Crust. 'Oh wow this place has a happy hour let me take note in my mind that will forget in the next few hours'. I mean, I'm never around Claremont at that time but maybe now this will give me an excuse to go visit. And it's summer time when it's still nice and bright at 6 (no, not 7, an hour before closing is happy hour)

Packing for my trip, maybe a post on that next. Amateur, beginner, cheap, urban sketcher's packing list.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment